Frequently Asked Questions for U.S. and Canadian Residents

My signature does not match the name printed on my passport. Is that a problem?

No, it will not be a problem.

In addition to sending copies of my passport ID page, do I need to send my actual passport?

Yes, the physical passport is required to apply for your visa. Missionary Travel has to send your passport to the consulate to obtain the visa. You will get your passport back along with your visa when you make the personal appearance before you depart to Spain.

Can I make corrections to my visa forms if the information already filled in is not correct?

Yes, you may use white-out tape (not liquid) to correct any personal information on the application.

On the visa application under #17, the email address belongs to someone else. Do missionaries need to update this?

No, the email address belongs to the agent who processes the missionary's visa. Any correspondence from the consulate will need to be directed to that agent.

If missionaries are living in a different state than what is listed on their driver’s license, can they get the statewide police clearance from where they currently live?

Yes, missionaries can apply for a statewide police clearance in their current state.

My clearance is not on state letterhead, but they did a statewide check. Will this be sufficient?

No, the consulate will not accept your background check unless it is on state letterhead or an FBI Clearance. Please contact your state’s Department of Public Safety, Bureau of Criminal Identification to obtain the proper document.

The photo doesn’t fit in the box on the application. Should I cut it down to size? How do I attach my photo to the application?

Do not cut your photo down to fit in the box on the application. It is fine that it is outside the lines of the box. The photo still needs to be a standard passport-type photo.

Use a glue stick to attach your photo. Tape or staples are not acceptable. If you do not have a glue stick, just put the photo in the envelope to Missionary Travel and we will attach it here.

Why do Arizona residents need an FBI clearance?

The state of Arizona does not offer a statewide police clearance. Missionaries should have information in their packet to explain the process of obtaining an FBI clearance. If for some reason you do not have those instructions, please contact Missionary Travel to have it emailed to you.

If a missionary is taking a trip before entering the missionary training center, will that hinder him or her from getting a visa?

Yes, Missionary Travel cannot apply for a missionary's visa without the missionary's passport. The passport is required for the consulate to issue the visa.

How long does it take to get a visa?

The visa process can range anywhere from 1 to 3 months. Missionary Travel will not have an update on the visa until Spain notifies them that it is been approved. Once Missionary Travel gets the approval, the missionary will be required to make a personal appearance to pick up your passport/visa.

Where do missionaries make the personal appearance?

All missionaries are required to make a personal appearance to receive their Spain visa. If missionaries live in the Los Angeles area, they will pick up their visa from the consulate in Beverly Hills. All other missionaries will pick up their visa from the honorary consul in Orem, Utah. For those that do not live within driving distance, Missionary Travel will make flight arrangements for you to meet the Consul.

Back Return to the Europe page.