Frequently Asked Questions for U.S. and Canadian Residents

Passport Book

Your passport book cannot expire within 6 months of your release date. If it will, you must renew your passport before applying for any visas. Please pay the extra fees to expedite the renewal of the passport. Expediting times can take from 4–8 weeks to process.

Passport Pages

If your passport will be valid for the term of your mission, your passport book must also have a minimum of 6 blank visa pages (not including the final 4 pages of the passport). If it does not have these required blank pages, you must renew your passport book.

Please send your passport book to the Travel Office. All of the consulates require it to place the visas in them. 

If a photocopy of the passport ID page is also requested, please send both the passport book and the photocopy.

What if missionaries don't sign their middle name on their passport?

Missionaries should leave their signature as is.

Can I travel internationally before going to the MTC?

Please do not schedule any international travel within 45 days of your MTC date. This includes travel to Canada or Mexico and any cruises that are outside of the United States.

Do missionaries need to send a money order for the fees?

No, the Church will cover the cost of the visa.

If missionaries filled out some of the information incorrectly, what can they do?

Missionaries should feel free to use white-out tape (not liquid) to remove the incorrect information and replace it with the correct information.

What should missionaries put in the “issued by” section?

Missionaries should enter “United States Department of State.”

What if missionaries don’t have a certificate from one of the three categories (educational, vocational, and ministerial)?

Missionaries can provide two certificates from one area and one from another. Missionaries must have three certificates.

My signature does not match the name printed on my passport. Is that a problem?

If you did not sign your full name on the passport, all your visa documents must be signed the way you signed your passport.

Can I make corrections to my visa forms if the information already filled in is not correct?

You may use white out tape (not liquid) to make needed changes. Do not scribble or cross things out.

How do I attach my photo to the application?

Use a glue stick to attach your photo. Tape or staples are not acceptable.

Back Return to the Africa page.