Frequently Asked Questions for U.S. and Canadian Residents

Passport Book

Your passport book cannot expire within 6 months of your release date. If it will, you must renew your passport before applying for any visas. Please pay the extra fees to expedite the renewal of the passport. Expediting times can take from 4–8 weeks to process.

Passport Pages

If your passport will be valid for the term of your mission, your passport book must also have a minimum of 6 blank visa pages (not including the final 4 pages of the passport). If it does not have these required blank pages, you must renew your passport book.

Please send your passport book to the Travel Office. All of the consulates require it to place the visas in them. 

If a photocopy of the passport ID page is also requested, please send both the passport book and the photocopy.

What if missionaries don't sign their middle name on their passport?

Missionaries should leave their signature as is.

Can I travel internationally before going to the MTC?

Please do not schedule any international travel within 45 days of your MTC date. This includes travel to Canada or Mexico and any cruises that are outside of the United States.

There is an error on my visa application(s). What do I Do?

You may make needed corrections on your visa application(s) using white out tape (not liquid) and correcting the responses in BLACK ink. Please write legibly in CAPITAL LETTERS.

If missionaries lose their visa packet, can they get a new one?

Yes. Please call 1-800-537-3537 and ask for the visa packet to be mailed to the missionary.

Do missionaries really need three notarized certificates?

Yes, they are required by the Ghana government in order for them to issue the longer-stay visa.

The three certificates types are: 1) a high school/college diploma 2) a Seminary Graduation Certificate; and 3) a ‘hobby’ type certificate such as an Eagle Scout Award, a Varsity Sports Award, a Music Award, or any other award/certificate with your name on it that shows you completed/achieved something outside of school and Church.

A notarized copy of your Melchizedek Priesthood Certificate is also required.

What if a notary is unwilling to notarize the copy?

Missionaries should send the document to the Missionary Travel Office and they will make the necessary arrangements to make the document valid.

Do missionaries need to send a money order for the fees?

No, the Church will cover the cost of the visa.

What should missionaries put in the “issued by” question where the passport information is?

Missionaries should enter “United States Department of State” if they hold a U.S. passport. If it is not a U.S. passport, then they should write the issuing authority that issued the passport.

What if missionaries don’t have a certificate from one of the three categories (educational, vocational, and ministerial)?

Missionaries can provide two from one area and one from another. Missionaries must have three certificates.

Can I return the items separately?

No, please return all of items at the same time in the provided return envelope before the due date.

What do I do with my Yellow Fever card?

Take the Yellow Fever Card with you to the Ghana MTC and then to your mission. Do not lose or discard it. If you leave home without it, you will be given another Yellow Fever Shot upon arrival in Ghana.

How long do the visas take to be completed?

We allow up to 30 days for all of the visas to be processed.

When will I receive my passport and itinerary?

You will receive your travel documents within 7–14 days of your MTC date.


Please refer all immunization questions to your personal doctor or you may call the Missionary Department Nurse at (801)-240-6454 for further clarification.

Back Return to the Africa page.